Welcome to day four of the Goffs November Sale. The first three days have featured a lively trade for the better lots but, as has been typical of the market throughout the year, it's been tough going for those that 'don't tick the boxes'. Day one, predictably, was particularly difficult; presented with offering a number of foals with blank pages and/or by questionable stallions, the opening day ended with a clearance rate of 47 per cent and average of €7,634.
However, by yesterday trade had picked up enough to push the overall average to €12,978. Yesterday's sale also featured a first six-figure lot in a €105,000 daughter of Kodiac, who was knocked down to Tally-Ho Stud - they've already picked up nine foals worth close to €270,000.
Tomorrow - the final day of the Foal Sale - is annually the strongest of the auction and indeed, it is at the end of tomorrow’s session that the Wildenstein foals take their turn.
However, today promises to have its share of highlights. There is healthy representation from various pinhooker favourites, including Dark Angel, Kodiac and Zoffany, as well as potential first-crop commercial standouts such as Charm Spirit, No Nay Never, Slade Power, Toronado and War Command.
And among those particularly well connected on their dam’s side are:
779) b f The Factor - Fifth Avenue Doll: by a son of War Front who has already sired a Grade 1 winner in his first crop, this filly is a half-sister to St Leger winner Arctic Cosmos
802) b c Zoffany - Igreja: out of a South African Group 1 winner
816) b c Rock Of Gibraltar - Lady Dettoria: half-brother to this season’s Flame Of Tara Stakes winner Sea Of Grace
901) ch c Casamento - Skiphall: half-brother to Grade 1 E P Taylor Stakes winner Folk Opera
908) b f Camelot - Spring Star: daughter of a dual Grade 2 winner
961) b c No Nay Never - Amethyst: a half-brother to six winners, this colt is out of the Irish 1,000 Guineas runner-up Amethyst, a sister to King Of Kings
994) b c Slade Power - Carry On Katie: out of the dominant two-year-old filly of 2003, whose wins included the Cheveley Park Stakes